In our house, matcha cookies are very popular. My family loves this delicious green tea powder and we enjoy many things made out of it. These cookies are one of our favourite things to make during Christmas. With the green of matcha, the red of the cranberries, and the white of the chocolate chips, it’s a beautiful, colourful, and flavourful treat that is perfect for the season.
The ingredients for Matcha Cookies
Basic cookie ingredients with the addition of green tea powder and we have ourselves a delicious cookie.
The Ingredients List:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of matcha
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
More Dessert Recipes you will Like:
Let’s start with the butter and sugar. In a large mixing bowl, whip the room temperature butter and sugar till they are smooth and creamy. I use a hand mixer because I find it much easier to mix the two together. But you can use a whisk if you don’t have a hand mixer. It will take a little bit longer, but you will have the safe effect. You will need to beat the butter and sugar mixture for about 4-5 minutes. Or until it’s light and fluffy. Once it’s nice and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time to the bowl and continue to whisk.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, the baking powder, the green tea matcha powder, and the salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix everything to make a dough. At this point, the dough will be a little soft, but there’s nothing to worry about. Now we can add the dried cranberries and the white chocolate chips to the bowl as well. Add them both together and mix well until they are evenly distributed within the dough.
Chilling the Dough:
Divide the dough into two equal parts. Wrap each of the two parts in plastic cling foil. Roll and shape them into logs and place them into the fridge. The dough needs to rest for about half an hour to set. The butter needs to harden. The harder the butter, the crisper the cookies will be. You can let the cookie dough rest for up to 24 hrs. I often tend to make the dough and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
The Baking Process:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Remove the hardened dough from the fridge and using a sharp knife, cut the logs into cookie shapes. Place them about 1 inch apart on parchment lined cookie trays and bake them for about 30 minutes or until they start to brown a slight bit from the ends.
Once the cookies have been baked, they need to rest and cool down before we can enjoy them. The cookies will be very soft. Gently lift them from the baking trays using a spatula and place them on a cookie rack and cool down for about 5 minutes. They will harden as they cool down.
Serving And Storing Suggestions:
Once cooled, enjoy with :
- A hot cup of my Pumpkin Spice Latte coffee
- My perfect cup of Masala Chai.
- I am certain once you try these, you will enjoy them and they will become your favourite cookies, just like they are ours.
- Store them in an air-tight container for up to 4 days – that is if they last that long
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts
Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Matcha, Cranberry, and White Chocolate Chip CookiesCourse: SnackCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
These matcha cookies are a perfect snack with the earthy flavour of matcha green tea, the tartness of the cranberries, and the sweetness of the chocolate chips.
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs (at room temperature)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of matcha
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar till they are smooth – for about 4-5 mins. You can use a hand mixer or a whisk.
- Add the eggs one at a time and continue beating for another 1 min.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, matcha powder, and salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix everything well to make a dough.
- Add the cranberries and the white chocolate chips to the dough and mix to evenly distribute.
- The dough will be quite soft. Using a spatula, place half the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and, form a log. Repeat with the second half.
- Place both logs into the fridge for about half an hour to allow the butter to harden again.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Dust some flour on a clean counter space Remove the log from the plastic wrap and place it on to the counter. Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 1/2 cm cookie thick pieces.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper and place the cookies on the trays. Leave enough space between the cookies, because the cookies will expand as they bake.
- Bake the cookies for about 30 mins or until the sides just start to brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them rest on the cookie tray for a minute or so and then move them to a cookie rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, store them in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
Are Matcha and Chocolate good together?
What doesn’t go well with Chocolate? Pretty much everything goes well with it. Match and Chocolate are a match made in heaven. Since they both have an earthy flavour, they go really well together. Try white chocolate with Matcha and you will be in love.
Can Matcha powder be used to Baking?
Matcha powder comes in many different varieties. The best and most expensive type is Ceremonial Matcha. It is the best type to use for my Matcha, Cranberry, and White Chocolate Chip Cookies.
What can Matcha powder be used for?
It has a variety of uses. Here are a few things you can make with it:
– Matcha and White Chocolate Chip Cookies.
– Matcha latte.
– Matcha green tea.
– Matcha iced green tea.
– Use it in your Morning Smoothie.
Check out other snack recipes here.