Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are so easy to make, yet so delicious. They can be made and enjoyed any day of the week. Simple, easy, and delicious, how can you go wrong with that? My kids love their beef and this is their favourite sandwich of all time.
The ingredients for the Philly cheesesteak
Five ingredients is all it takes to make these amazingly delicious sandwiches.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 pounds steak
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion
- 4 crimini mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese (or cheese of choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sub buns (6 inches long)
The first step to making these delicious sandwiches is to slice the steak. Thinly slice the steak and sprinkle some salt and pepper onto it. Allow this to sit while you make the caramelized onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
Let’s start with the caramelized onions. Slice the onions, mushrooms, and peppers finely. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium-sized pan. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 6-7 mins on medium heat, so they start to get brown. Make sure that you are stirring the pan constantly so that the onions cook evenly and do not burn.
Once the onions have started to brown, add the sliced mushrooms and mix well. Allow them to cook for about 2-3 mins. You do not want the mushrooms to get soggy, so just cooking for about 2-3 minutes will suffice. Add the sliced red peppers and cook for another 2-3 mins. The same applies to peppers. If you cook them for too long or leave them on the heat for too long, they will shed all their water and make everything soggy. We want to avoid that. We want the peppers to be crisp.
Once the onions, mushrooms, and peppers have cooked, turn the heat off and set them aside. However, while the mushrooms and peppers are cooking, start the beef cooking process.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or a non-stick pan and add some of the remaining oil to it. I like to cook my beef for each sandwich as I go, so I only use a little bit of oil at a time. If you prefer to cook all of the beef together then you can add all of the remaining oil and cook all the beef in one go.
I add 1/4 of the beef to the skillet once it’s hot and smoking. The idea is to cook the beef quickly, so it stays soft and doesn’t toughen up with over-cooking. Let it cook for about 2 mins on one side and then flip it over to allow the second side to cook. Since it’s thinly sliced, the cooking process hardly takes time.
Once you see the second side of the beef start to brown and lose its redness, add two slices of cheese to the beef. The cheese needs to melt as the beef continues to cook. Once the cheese starts to melt a little, break the cheese apart and mix it into the beef using your spatula. But, this is not a crucial part. The melting of the cheese is the necessary part.
While the beef is cooking on one side of the skillet, slice your bun lengthwise and butter it on the inside. Place the buttered side on the second half of your skillet to allow the bun to crisp up a little. If you don’t have space on the skillet, you can always toast the bun in a toaster oven or oven and then butter it.
Once the bun is toasted and the beef and cheese are ready, place the beef onto the toasted bun and then add 1/4 of the onion, mushroom, and pepper mix on top. If you prefer to have it all mixed up, add the onions to the skillet, mix them with the beef, and place everything on the bun. Enjoy with a side of greens.
Philly Cheesesteak SandwichCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These Philly cheesesteak sandwiches made with thinly sliced beef, melted cheese, caramelized onions, mushrooms, and peppers are the ultimate comfort food.
1 1/2 pounds steak
4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
2 tablespoons butter
1 red onion
4 crimini mushrooms
1 red pepper
8 slices of Swiss cheese (or cheese of choice)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 sub buns (6 inches long)
- Thinly slice the steak. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and let it sit while you cook the onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Thinly slice the onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and butter in a medium sized pan. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 6-7 mins. The onions should start to brown.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 2 mins. Then add the peppers and cook for a further 2 mins. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and set aside while you cook the beef.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil on a cast-iron skillet or a non-stick pan. Once the oil is really hot and smoking, place 1/4 of the beef onto the skillet. Let cook for about 2 mins. Turn over and cook for another 2 mins.
- Place the cheese on top of the beef and allow it to melt a little. Using a spatula, mix the cheese into the beef.
- While the beef is cooking, butter one bun and place it on the other end of the pan. Allow it to brown and get crisp.
- Once the bun has toasted and the beef is ready, place the beef on to the bun. Add the caramelized onions, mushrooms, and peppers onto the bun.
- Repeat steps 5-8 three more times for a total of 4 sandwiches. Enjoy them hot.
– Check out other Entree recipes here.