Philly cheesesteak is so easy to make, yet so delicious. It can be made and enjoyed any day of the week. Simple, easy, and delicious, how can you go wrong with that? This recipe is my kids favourite of all time. Try it and I’m sure you and the family will be coming back for more.
The ingredients for the Philly Cheesesteak
Five ingredients are all it takes to make this amazingly delicious recipe.
The Ingredient List:
- 1 1/2 pounds steak
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion
- 4 crimini mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 8 slices of Swiss
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sub buns (6 inches long)
The Slicing Process:
Thinly slice the meat and sprinkle some salt and pepper onto it. Allow this to sit while you make the caramelized onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
Slice the onions, mushrooms, and peppers finely. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium-sized pan. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 6-7 mins on medium heat, so they start to brown. Make sure that you are stirring the pan constantly so that the onions cook evenly and do not burn. Once they cook, they can burn easily if not looked after.
The Mushrooms and Peppers
Once the onions have started to brown, add the sliced mushrooms and mix well. Allow them to cook for about 2-3 mins. You do not want the mushrooms to get soggy, so just cooking for about 2-3 minutes will suffice.
Add the sliced red peppers and cook for another 2-3 mins. The same applies to peppers. If you cook them for too long or leave them on the heat for too long, they will shed all their water and make everything soggy. We want to avoid that. We want the peppers to be crisp. Once the onions, mushrooms, and peppers have cooked set them aside.
Other Entree’s you will Like
The Cooking Process:
Heat a cast-iron skillet or a non-stick pan and add some of the remaining oil to it. The idea is to cook the beef quickly. Let it cook for about 2 mins on one side and then flip it over to allow the second side to cook. Since it’s thinly sliced, the cooking process hardly takes time.
Once you see the second side start to brown and lose its redness, add two slices of Swiss top. The slices need to melt as the meat continues to cook. Once it starts to melt a little, break it apart and mix it into the beef using your spatula. But, this is not a crucial part. The melting of the Swiss is the necessary part.
Slice your bun lengthwise and butter it on the inside. Place the buttered side on the skillet to allow the bun to crisp up a little.
Once the bun is toasted, place the cooked ingredients onto the toasted bun and enjoy with a side of salad. Check out a lif of my salad options here.
We can vary the ingredients a little bit to customize the flavours to our own liking:
- Replace the Swiss with Cheddar, or Provolone.
- Add some hot peppers, or banana peppers, or pickled jalapenos to the top for a slightly spicier version.
- Some people like to add mayo or spicy mayo to the bun once you are done toasting it. Or even replace the butter with mayo.
- Turn it into a pizza with the addition of marinara sauce or pizza sauce.
- Add some pickles or relish to it.
Philly Cheesesteak SandwichCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These Philly cheesesteak sandwiches made with thinly sliced beef, melted cheese, caramelized onions, mushrooms, and peppers are the ultimate comfort food.
1 1/2 pounds steak
4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
2 tablespoons butter
1 red onion
4 crimini mushrooms
1 red pepper
8 slices of Swiss
Salt and pepper to taste
4 sub buns (6 inches long)
- Thinly slice the beef. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and let it sit while you cook the onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Thinly slice the onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and butter in a medium sized pan. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 6-7 mins. The onions should start to brown.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 2 mins. Then add the peppers and cook for a further 2 mins. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and set aside while you cook the beef.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil on a cast-iron skillet or a non-stick pan. Once the oil is really hot and smoking, place 1/4 of the beef onto the skillet. Let cook for about 2 mins. Turn over and cook for another 2 mins.
- Place the cheese on top of the meat and allow it to melt a little. Using a spatula, mix the cheese into the beef.
- While the meat is cooking, butter one bun and place it on the other end of the pan. Allow it to brown and get crisp.
- Repeat steps 5-8 three more times for a total of 4 sandwiches. Enjoy them hot.
- Once the bun has toasted and the beef is ready, place the meat on to the bun. Add the caramelized onions, mushrooms, and peppers onto the bun.
What is the secret to Philly cheesesteak?
The right cut of beef cooked on a griddle, the sauteed onion, the cheese, all make the perfect combo for a great sandwich. The grilling of the bun which is well buttered also adds to the authentic flavour.
What toppings go on a Philly cheesesteak?
A traditional Philly cheese sandwich usually only includes onions as a topping. However, I like to add mushrooms and red peppers to the mix. Fry the onion, add mushrooms and red peppers and make a combo to add on top. A guaranteed success.
What buns are used for Philly cheesesteak?
Although a hoagie bun is the traditional choice of bread, we can use a sub bun, a baguette, a ciabatta, a hot dog bun, and even an Italian sandwich bun. So many choices and variations are possible.
Check out other Entree recipes here.