Neither my husband, nor I like red meat much, but both my kids love it. So, I make beef once in a while and this beef and broccoli is one of their favorite meals. It’s so easy to make and it keeps them happy. I serve it with a side of plain sticky rice and they are as content as can be.
The ingredients that make this beef and broccoli amazing
Simple ingredients, amazing umami taste. That’s what makes this beef and broccoli delicious.
To make this beef soft and beautifully tender, we need to marinate it. That calls for a marinade that is comprised of two simple ingredients.
Slice one pound of steak beef into thin strips – about half a centimeter thickness. In a large mixing bowl, add the beef and pour one tablespoon of dark soy sauce on it. Add one tablespoon of sugar to the bowl and mix everything well. Cover with a plate or dishcloth and set aside for about fifteen mins.
While the beef strips are marinating, make the umami sauce that will make this dish chopstick licking delicious. In a bowl, add two tablespoons of soy sauce, a quarter cup of oyster sauce, two tablespoons of sugar, half a teaspoon of ground black pepper, and one tablespoon of corn starch. Mix everything well and set it aside.
While the beef is marinating, chop two heads of broccoli into bite-size pieces – about three cups worth of broccoli. Do not waste the broccoli stems. Take off the knobby parts and chop them too. They are absolutely delicious. Smash and chop three garlic cloves and grate about one teaspoon worth of ginger and set aside.
Once the beef is ready, pour two tablespoons of vegetable oil into a large pan and heat it to the point of almost smoking. Once the oil is hot enough, toss in the beef, making sure that there is only one layer of beef in the pan. Do not over crowd the pan. Cook the beef for about one minute on one side, then turn it over and cook the other side for another minute. Do not cook the beef all the way. You should be able to see some raw beef.
Remove the beef from the pan and set it aside. In the same pan, add one tablespoon of oil and heat it. Add the finely chopped garlic and grated ginger to the pan. Cook for about two mins. The add the chopped broccoli to the pan. Mix well and add a couple of tablespoons of water. This will help the broccoli soften without burning. Continue to toss for about five minutes.
Add the beef back to the pan – juices and all. As the beef rests, it lets go of the water and that collects in the bowl. Use that liquid. It has a lot of flavour in it. Mix everything well in the pan, so that the beef and broccoli are well combined.
Now you are ready to add the sauce. Pour all of the sauce into the pan and toss well, so that all of the sauce is mixed into both the beef and the broccoli. Continue to cook for about two to three minutes. This will ensure that the liquid that was emitted by the beef thickens and the beef cooks to perfection.
The beef will be soft, tender, and delicious. The broccoli will be soft, yet crunchy. Sprinkle the beef with some fresh chopped green onion. Enjoy with a side of rice.
Asian Beef and BroccoliCourse: EntreeCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Easy
This Asian beef and broccoli is stir-fried to perfection and topped with a delicious umami sauce that will have you licking your chopsticks and asking for seconds.
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (or Mirin)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pound stake beef
2 tablespoons soy sauce (or Mirin)
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon corn starch
- Other ingredients
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
3 garlic cloves – crushed
1 teaspoon grated ginger
3 cups chopped broccoli
2 green onions chopped – for garnish
- For marinade
- Slice the steak into thin strips.
- Add the beef strips to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar and soy sauce to the bowl. Let sit for about 15 mins.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl or a measuring cup and mix well. Set aside.
- Cooking the beef
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Let it get hot till it’s almost smoking. Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 1 min. Turn and cook on the other side for another min. Do not overcook.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set it aside.
- Lower the heat to a medium low and add the remaining oil to the same pan and add the crushed garlic and ginger to it. Cook for about 2 mins.
- Add the chopped broccoli to the pan and cook for about 5 mins. At this point, you can add 1 tablespoon of water to help soften the broccoli.
- Add the beef back to the pan – juices and all. Mix well to combine the beef and broccoli.
- Add the sauce to the pan and mix everything well. Cook for about 2-3 mins and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle some green onions and serve with a side of rice.
– Check out other Entree recipes here.