I make curry meatballs a lot. We all love meatballs and have them in various things such as pasta, subs, and these curry meatballs which we often enjoy with homemade crusty Italian bread of rice. They are so delicious that we can’t seem to get enough of them. And to top it all, they are super simple to make.
The ingredients for curry meatballs
A handful of ingredients is all this dish takes, but the flavours are a whole different story.
Making the curry meatballs
The meatballs need to be flavoured before they are baked, so that when you eat them, each bite will have the curry flavour. To start, chop a small onion finely. I love red onions, but you can use any onion of choice. Add one and a half pounds of ground pork (or any ground meat of choice) to a mixing bowl. Add the chopped onion to the bowl. At the same time, add one tablespoon of curry powder and salt to taste to the bowl as well.
Mix everything well so that the curry powder and onions are well distributed into the meat. Since curry powder has turmeric in it, the ground meat will take on a yellowish tinge and you will be able to tell when it’s evenly distributed. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let sit for about half an hour to allow the spices and meat to marry.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Make the meatballs and place them on the baking tray. I make my meatballs about 1 inch in diameter and I get about twenty-four meatballs from the ground. Bake the meatballs for about twenty minutes while you make the curry.
Making the creamy curry sauce
To make the curry for the curry meatballs, we need to start with finely chopping one red onion, half a green chili (or more if you prefer it spicier), and grating about one teaspoon of ginger. Heat about three tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pan and add the onions, chili, and grated ginger into the pan. Cook for about five minutes or so, or until the onion starts to brown.
While the onions are browning, chop about two cups of cherry tomatoes into halves and set aside.
Once the onion has browned, add one tablespoon of curry powder to the pan. Mix well so that the curry powder mixes in properly with the onions. Add the chopped cherry tomatoes to the pan and mix well. Cook for about one minute. This is just to get the curry powder to mix well without burning.
Now add about two cups of baby spinach to the pan. I don’t chop it. Since the leaves are already small, there is no need to chop. It will wilt and almost disappear. Cook the spinach for about two minutes or so.
Now to make the sauce “creamy”. To do that, add one cup of cream to the pan. I use table cream, but you can use whipping cream if you like, If you do use whipping cream, then only add half a cup of whipping cream and half a cup of milk else it will be too rich. Mix the cream well so that it takes on the yellowish tinge from the curry powder.
Now that the curry sauce is ready, you can add the meatballs to the pan. Since the meatballs are already cooked, there is no need to cook the meatballs in the sauce for too long. Just cook them for about five minutes, just to allow them to absorb some of the saucy goodness from the curry sauce.
Serve hot with some of my homemade crusty Italian bread or plain rice or even some flatbread.
Curry Meatballs with Spinach and Cherry TomatoesCourse: EntreeCuisine: Indo-CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These curry meatballs with spinach and cherry tomatoes are housed in a rich, creamy, perfectly spiced curry sauce. The meatballs are spiced and baked to perfection before being added to the sauce.
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 small red onion
1 tablespoon curry powder
Salt to taste
- Curry Sauce
1 red onion
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 green chili (or more if you prefer it spicier)
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onion.
- Add the ground pork, onion, curry powder and salt to a large mixing bowl. Mix everything together.
- Let sit for about 1/2 hr to allow the spices and meat to marry.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make meatballs and place them on a parchment lined baking tray. (makes about 24 meatballs)
- Bake for about 20 mins while you make the curry.
- Curry Sauce
- In a large saucepan, add the oil.
- Chop the onion finely and add it to the pan with heated oil.
- Chop the green chili finely and add it and the grated ginger to the pan at the same time.
- Cook for about 4-5 mins or until the onions are browned.
- Add the curry powder and mix.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into halves and add them into the pan. Stir and cook for about 1 min.
- Add the baby spinach to the pan and stir to mix everything. Cook for about 2 mins – just to allow the spinach to soften and wilt a slight bit.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and add the cream to the pan. Cook for about 1 min.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and mix everything well.
- Cook for about 5 mins to allow the meatballs to absorb the curry sauce.
- Serve with a side of home made Italian bread, or rice.
– Check out other Entree recipes here.