Summer time is a time for sweet cold drinks. This refreshing rhubarb slushy is one of our favourites. It’s slightly sweet, slightly tart, cold and absolutely delicious. There’s no cooking involved and it’s guaranteed to become your favourite summer drink. In 15 minutes you can have a drink that will impress everyone.
The ingredients for the rhubarb slushy
Four simple ingredients and you have the best refreshing summer slushy.
This is what you will need:
- 2 cups raw rhubarb (about 6-8 stalks)
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 3 limes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 5 cups of ice cold water (or as per your taste)
- ice as needed
Let’s start with making the rhubarb juice. I make mine with raw rhubarb. Wash and chop the rhubarb into small pieces. Place the chopped rhubarb, 1/2 cup water, and salt into a food processor or blender and blend until the stalks are finely chopped. The idea is to blend it so that the juice can be easily extracted.
Once the rhubarb is blended, place a cheese cloth on a jug or a large measuring cup and pour it onto the cheese cloth. You want to use a cheese cloth so that none of the pulp goes into the juice. Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a slushy and you get pulp in your mouth. Tie the cheese cloth and squeeze so that all of the juice is extracted from it. Once all the juice has been extracted, you can discard the pulp.
Now that the juice is ready, we can make the slushy. Pour the maple syrup into the jug and mix well until all the maple syrup has dissolved into the juice. Cut and squeeze all the limes into the jug and mix well. Add the ice cold water to the jug and using a large wooden spoon mix it all in. We now have a delicious rhubarb limeade. Taste it and adjust the sweetness as needed. I like mine tart, but if you prefer it sweeter, now’s the time to add more maple syrup.
You can also reduce the amount of water you add. If you want it more tart, try with 4 cups of water and then add more if desired. Taste as you go and adjust accordingly.
Now we are ready to make the slushy. To make the slushy, add 3/4 cup of the limeade into the blender and add a cup of ice. Blend so that the ice is crushed and you have a slushy. Serve it right away and enjoy. For an adult version, add a shot of vodka, or gin, or even brandy.
Reserve any left over rhubarb limeade in the fridge for later use. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days – if it lasts that long that is.
Refreshing Summer Rhubarb SlushyCourse: Drinks, SideCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This naturally sweetened summer rhubarb slushy is so refreshing that it will become your go to drink every summer. Good for the kids as is and good for the adults with a shot of alcohol of choice.
2 cups raw rhubarb
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
5 cups of ice cold water (or less as per your taste)
ice as needed
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into small pieces.
- Place the rhubarb, 1/4 cup water, and salt into a food processor or blender and blend until the rhubarb is finely chopped.
- Place a cheesecloth onto a jug or measuring cup and pour the blended rhubarb onto it. Tie the cheesecloth and squeeze all the juice out of the rhubarb. Discard the pulp.
- Pour the maple syrup into the jug and mix well until all the maple syrup has dissolved.
- Cut and squeeze all the limes into the jug and mix well. Add the ice cold water to the jug and using a large wooden spoon mix it all in.
- Taste the rhubarb limeade and adjust for sweetness as needed.
- When ready to make you slushy, place 3/4 cup of the rhubarb limeade into the blender, add about 1 cup of ice and blend to form a slushy. Make one cup at a time or as needed.
- Reserve the remaining rhubarb limeade in the fridge.
– Check out other Drinks recipes here.