Mangoes and summer are like toast and butter. They go hand in hand. So many delicious ways to enjoy this exotic fruit. We love all the varieties that we can get during the summertime too. The summer mango granita is one easy, delicious, and refreshing way of using mangoes.
The ingredients for the mango granita
Three ingredients are all it takes and you will have people asking for more.
You will need these simple ingredients to get this delicious Italian ice onto the table:
- 2 large ripe mangoes (about 2 cups worth)
- 1 lime (about 4 tablespoons)
- the rind of one lime (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 6 tablespoons of maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
To make this simple, yet delicious dessert, we will need to blend the mango. Wash and dry the mango. Peel the mango and discard the skin. Cut the mango away from the pit. Discard the pit and chop the mango into small chunks. The idea is to get the mango into chunks small enough so when blended we get a smooth pulp.
Place the chunks into a food processor or blender. Wash the lime properly and dry it. Using a nutmeg grater or any other small grater, scrape all the rind of the lime and place it into the blender as well. Cut the lime into half and squeeze all the juice out of it into the blender. Now we can add the water and salt and blend everything together until you get a smooth pulpy mixture.
Pour the pulpy mixture into a freezer proof container and cover it. Place the container into the freezer for about 1 hr or until the mixture has just started to freeze. Remove it from the freezer and using a fork, scrape the semi frozen pulp. Mix it up so that it’s evenly distributed again in the container. Put it back into the freezer for another hour or so and remove and scrape again. This time the mixture will be a little more frozen. Place it back in the freezer for a third time.
Remove from the freezer after another hour or so of freezing and scrape again. This time, you will have this delicious frozen Italian ice or Granita. Once it’s all scraped, you can use an ice cream scoop or a serving spoon to serve it into individual bowls and enjoy.
Enjoy as a dessert on any given day at the end of a back yard barbecue. My son loves to add a little condensed milk on top for added creaminess. Try it once on your friends and you’re guaranteed, repeat visitors.
The Perfect Summer Mango GranitaCourse: DessertCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This naturally sweetened summer mango granita is the perfect way to end a backyard dinner. This Italian dessert is a must try for any summer party.
2 large ripe mangoes (about 2 cups worth)
1 lime (about 4 tablespoons)
the rind of one lime
6 tablespoons of maple syrup (or to taste)
1 cup water
pinch of salt
- Wash and dry the mango. Peel the mango and discard the skin.
- Cut the mango away from the pit and discard the pit. Chop it into small chunks. Place the chunks into a food processor or blender.
- Using a nutmeg grater, get the rind off the lime and add it to the blender.
- Cut the lime into half and squeeze all the juice into the blender as well.
- Add the water and salt to the blender.
- Blend everything so that it’s finely pureed.
- Place the blended mango into a freezer safe container and cover with a lid. Place the container into the freezer and let it freeze for about an hour.
- Remove it from the freezer and using a fork, scrape the semi frozen mango. Once all of it has been scraped, place it back into the freezer for another hour or so.
- Repeat step 8 twice more.
- Serve the frozen mango granita as a dessert on a hot summer day and enjoy it frozen.
– Check out other desserts recipes here.