During the summer and fall months we love to go hiking. We always bring these sweet and spicy nuts during these hikes. We also love to go camping and we always bring these nuts with us. To make it more interesting, you can always add more things to the mix. This recipe is so versatile and that’s what I love about it.
Ingredients for my sweet and spicy nuts
Simple ingredients that make my sweet and spicy nuts addictive.
You will need:
– 1 cup cashew nuts
– 1 cup almonds
– 1 cup pecans
– 3 tablespoons maple syrup
– 1 tablespoon butter
– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon red chili powder
– 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1 tablespoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, add all of the nuts and toss well to combine. I use a combination of almonds, cashew nuts, and pecans, but you can make a big bowl of the same nut. Or a variation of nuts based on your liking.
Melt your butter in a small bowl in the microwave and mix that with the oil. Add the butter and oil mix to the nuts and toss to combine again.
IIn another small bowl, mix the chili powder, the ground black pepper, the onion powder, and the salt. Sprinkle the spice mixture onto the nuts and toss so the spices coat the nuts. At this stage, I generally use my hands to make sure that all the nuts are well coated and the spices have kind of disappeared.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the nuts on the parchment-lined baking tray. You might need two trays, if you don’t have one large enough to fit all the nuts. The idea is to ensure that the nuts are not crowded. Only one layer of nuts on the tray.
Bake the nuts for about 20 mins. The smell is intoxicating as the nuts bake. Keep an eye oh the nuts. You want to remove them from the oven as soon a you see them brown. The nuts will continue to brown a slight bit more even after they are removed from the oven, so it’s important to remove them from the oven as soon as you think they are starting to brown.
Allow the nuts to completely cool on the baking tray. Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container. They make for a good hostess gift. Next salad you make, add these as a topper and see them become an instant hit.
Crunchy Sweet and Spicy NutsCourse: SnackCuisine: Indo-CanadianDifficulty: Easy
My sweet and spicy nuts made with natural maple syrup and a hint of heat, are a crunchy snack that is incredibly addictive. They are a perfect snack for hikes, picnics, or any gathering.
1 cup cashewnuts
1 cup almonds
1 cup pecans
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the nuts and toss well to combine.
- Melt your butter in a small bowl in the microwave and mix that with the oil. Add the butter and oil mix to the nuts and toss to combine again.
- In another small bowl, mix the chili powder, the ground black pepper, the onion powder, and the salt. Sprinkle the spice mixture onto the nuts and toss so the spices coat the nuts.
- Line two 9×13 inch baking trays with parchment paper. Spread the nuts evenly on the trays – in a single layer only.
- Bake the nuts for about 20 mins. Remove them from the oven as soon a you see them brown.
- Allow the nuts to completely cool on the baking tray. Once cooled, store then in an air tight container.
– Check out other snack recipes here.