Tomato and Mozzarella salad is one of my favourite salads. Make it with heirloom tomatoes and it’s even better. All those different textures and colours of tomatoes make this salad even better. But what makes it even better than that? My sun dried tomato salad dressing. I know most caprese salads are generally served just with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, but try this dressing and you will want to use it for all kinds of other salads.
The Ingredients for the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Only a few fresh ingredients make this salad so delicious.
The Ingredients List for the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad:
- Sun dried tomato dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Other ingredients
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella cheese (250 gms)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
More Dressings you will Like:
The Salad Dressing Recipe:
First, let’s make the dressing and set it aside. I love this dressing. I use it for all kinds of other salads as well. It’s so easy to make and it can be stored in the fridge in a container or a mason jar for up to 2 months. I like to use the sun dried tomatoes that we get in a jar with oil, but you can use any other kind too. I make a larger batch and leave it in the fridge for easy access.
To make the salad dressing, start by finely chopping about 2 tablespoons worth of sun dried tomatoes. I cut the sun dried tomatoes into about 1/4 of a centimeter, but you can chop them a bit bigger if you prefer. Next, chop one shallot and garlic finely as well. I use a garlic press for the garlic. The kids prefer not to have to chew on raw piece of garlic
Now, we can mix the dressing. In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients except the olive oil. Mix them all well and then add the olive oil. Slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl. Use a fork or a small whisk to mix in the oil. Set it aside while you prepare the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Prepping the Heirloom Tomatoes
Wash and dry the heirloom tomatoes and the fresh basil. Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 cm slices. I try and use all the different colours of heirloom tomatoes I can find. Also, slice the ball of fresh mozzarella into 1/2 cm slices.
Assembling the Salad Recipe
Now we can make the heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad. To make the salad, arrange the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella in an alternating pattern. Roughly chop some fresh basil leaves and sprinkle them on top of the tomatoes and mozzarella. Alternatively, you can place whole basil leaves between the mozzarella and the tomatoes too. In our house, not everyone likes fresh basil, so I chop it up and sprinkle it. That way, they can see it and pick it off the top if they don’t want it.
Now comes the dressing we made. Since the oil and vinegar have a tendency of separating, make sure to mix the dressing again before you pour about 4 tablespoons worth of dressing on top of the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
Enjoy the salad right away as a side with:
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella SaladCourse: Salad, SideCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This simple heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad is so easy to make yet so full of flavour. It’s topped with my sun dried tomato and olive oil dressing which makes it perfect for any dinner.
- Sun dried tomato dressing
2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 garlic clove
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Other ingredients
4 large heirloom tomatoes
1 large ball fresh mozzarella cheese (250 gms)
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- The dressing
- Finely chop the sun dried tomatoes, shallot and garlic.
- Add all the dressing ingredients except the olive oil into the bowl and using a fork, mix them all together.
- Slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl as you continue to stir with a fork or a whisk. Set aside.
- The salad
- Wash and dry the heirloom tomatoes and the fresh basil.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 cm thick slices. Also, slice the ball of fresh mozzarella into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Arrange the tomatoes and mozzarella in an alternating pattern on a dinner plate or a platter.
- Sprinkle the chopped basil on top of the tomatoes and mozzarella. Alternatively, you can place a single leaf basil leaf after each piece of mozzarella.
- Shake or whisk the dressing again just before dressing the salad and serve right away.
- Enjoy the salad right away as a side with home made pizza, or with my oven roasted chicken thighs.