Bored of always boiling your green beans? Have you ever tried having a green bean salad? Try my green bean salad with mango and red peppers instead and watch the instant love affair start.
The ingredients for the green bean salad
We only need five simple ingredients to make this green bean salad.
To make the salad, the first step is to wash and steam or boil 500 grams of green beans. In a large pot, boil enough water to submerge the green beans. Add a little salt to the water as well. Boil the green beans for about 2-3 mins. The color of the beans will change to a brighter green.
While the beans are cooking, get some ice cold water ready in a bowl. Drain them from the boiling water and immediately put them into the bowl with ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. You can also run them under cold water from the tap and that does the trick. Drain the water completely and let them sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Deseed and slice one red pepper into thin slices. Peel and slice one large mango into thin slices as well. Peel and slice two shallots. Place all of these things into a salad bowl. Add the fully drained green beans into the bowl and toss everything together.
Crumble a quarter cup of feta and add it to the bowl and toss again to mix the feta into the salad. To dress the salad, you will need to use my onion poppyseed vinaigrette.
The onion poppyseed vinaigrette
Find the recipe to my onion poppyseed vinaigrette here.
Pour about 1/4 cup of the dressing into the bowl and mix well so that the vegetables and mango are well coated.
Green Bean Salad with Mango and Red PeppersCourse: SaladCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This crunchy green bean and mango salad is made with just a few ingredients but packs a punch when it comes to flavor. Its freshness from the beans and sweetness from the mangoes is a perfect combination.
500 grams fresh green beans
1 large red bell pepper
1 large semi-ripe mango
2 shallots (or a small red onion)
1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Boil water in a large bowl big enough to fit all of the green beans. Add some salt to the water. Add the green beans to the pot and boil for about 2-3 mins. The color will change to a bright green.
- Drain completely and run under cold water or immerse the green beans into a bowl with ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain completely and set aside.
- Deseed and finely slice the red pepper.
- Peel and finely slice the mango.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Add the peppers, mango and shallots into a large salad bowl.
- Add the drained green beans into the bowl and add the feta as well. Toss to combine everything well.
- Use my onion poppyseed vinaigrette to dress the salad. Pour about 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette into the bowl and mix well.
- Enjoy the salad as a side with my oven roasted chicken thighs. Or with my honey mustard chicken thighs.
– Check out other salad recipes here.