We eat scrambled egg wraps very regularly in our house. Every few weeks the kids ask for them. When I have nothing else to give them for school lunches, I make these scrambled egg wraps. They hold really well and are just as delicious cold as they are warm.
I grew up eating scrambled eggs with onions and peppers and spinach and chilies, so when I first came to Canada and went out for breakfast with a friend, I ordered scrambled eggs thinking I would get what I was used to eating. Boy, was I in for a surprise when I saw plain scrambled eggs on my breakfast plate. When I got married and introduced by husband to the type of scrambled eggs I grew up with, he was instantly in love. I think I kind of ruined it for my family. No one wants plain scrambled eggs any more. But here is why.
When I tell people that there are various ingredients involved in my scrambled eggs, I always get the HUH? My scrambled eggs are made with bacon, and peppers, and mushrooms, and jalapeno, and spinach, and red onions, and cheese. Once you try them, I am sure you will love them too. I have introduced these to so many friends and they have all loved them.
Making the scrambled egg
To make the scrambled eggs, first cut 6 slices of turkey style bacon into 1 inch squares. Of course you can use regular bacon. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a medium sized pan and toss the bacon into the pan. If you are using regular bacon, do not add any oil. Regular bacon has it’s own fat, while turkey style has no fat. Cook the bacon and remove it from the pan and set aside. If you used regular bacon, remove the extra fat that the bacon rendered.
Now to cook the vegetables. Finely chop 1/2 small red onion and 1/2 jalapeno pepper. Toss them into the same pan and fry for about 3 mins, till the onions soften. You might need to add another tablespoon of oil to the pan.
Chop 2 large mushrooms (of any kind) into small 1 cm cubes and toss them into the pan. Cook for 2 mins. Chop 1/2 red pepper into 1 cm cubes and toss those into the pan and cook for a further 2 mins. Do not over cook or else the vegetables will shed their liquid and we don’t want that. And you want to be able to crunch the peppers when you bite into the egg wraps.
Roughly chop 1 cup of spinach, kale and chard mix (or any greens of choice). Add those to the pan and mix well. Do not cook the greens. They will cook as the eggs cook. Now you can add the cooked bacon back into the pan. Mix well to combine everything.
It’s time to add the eggs. Crack 6 organic free range eggs straight into the pan. I scramble them with the spoons I am cooking with. They will cook and scramble as you mix. Cook them for about 5 mins or until the eggs are cooked through. You can add black pepper to taste at this time. I do not add extra salt because the bacon is very salty already, but you can add more if you like.
Assembling the egg wraps
Now that the eggs are ready, grate 1/4 cup of marble cheese. I like that, but you can add whichever cheese you like. Place one gluten free wrap on a warmed skilled. Put 1/4 of the scrambled eggs into the wrap. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese on top of the eggs.
Fold both sides of the wrap onto the middle and then fold the wrap into a pillow. You can always fold the wrap on a plate first, then move it to the skillet if you prefer.
Cook the wrap on the skillet on one side for about 2 mins then turn and cook for another 2 mins. The idea is just to brown the wrap and melt the cheese. But, you if you prefer, you can eat it just as is. Repeat till you have 4 wraps and all the scrambled eggs and cheese are gone.
Enjoy with a side of home made potato wedges, fries or a salad. Don’t want wraps, that’s fine. The scrambled eggs can be enjoyed by themselves or with toast as well.
Scrambled Egg WrapsCourse: Brunch, BreakfastCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
Scrambled egg wraps with bacon, peppers, spinach, mushrooms and cheese are going to become your favourite. Perfect for school lunches and Sunday brunches.
6 strips of turkey style bacon
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
1/2 small red onion
1/2 jalapeno pepper (optional)
2 large mushrooms of choice
1/2 large red pepper
1 cup of spinach, kale and chard mix (or any greens of choice)
6 Organic free range eggs
1/4 cup marble cheese
4 gluten free wraps
- Cut the bacon strips into 1 inch squares.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and cook the bacon for about 5 mins or till browned. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Finely chop the red onion and jalapeno peppers. Add them to the pan and cook for about 3 or so mins.
- Chop the mushrooms into small bite size pieces and add them to the pan. Cook for about 2 mins.
- Chop the red pepper into small bit size pieces and toss into the pan. Stir and cook for another 2 or so mins.
- Roughly chop the greens and throw them in the pan. Mix well – do not cook.
- Now you can add the bacon back into the pan and mix to combine everything.
- Crack the eggs straight into the pan and mix. Cook for about 5 or so mins until that the eggs are cooked through.
- Grate the cheese.
- Take one gluten free wrap and add 1/4 of the cooked scrambled eggs onto the wrap. Add 1/4 of the grated cheese on top of the eggs. Fold the wrap into a pillow.
- Place the wrap on to a warmed skillet and cook for about 2 mins on each side.
- Repeat steps 10 and 11, three more times till you have four wraps.
- Enjoy with a side of home made potato wedges, fries or a salad.
- – Don’t like turkey style bacon, use regular. Save the bacon fat for your gravy or use when making tea biscuits.
– Don’t want wraps, have the eggs by themselves, or with toast on the side.
– Check out other breakfast recipes here.